Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My Desire to be the Ideal Character

     I've found recently that I have been yearning to be this perfect character in the story of my life. I constantly try to be the best that I can be, and often, my vision of the best falls into line with what one might attribute as a stereotypical English major. I'm talking pipe-smoking, scarf-wearing, greatcoat wearing, guy who sits in a coffee shop and writes in his journal. 
     Now, I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, rather, I find comfort in knowing what I'm trying to be like. I don't plan to be like this my entire life, but it gives me a base to start with. 
     I am in love  with the romanticized idea of what a writer is. Someone who thinks and communicates so eloquently, gives breath to a breadth of ideas, bringing them to life out of pure imagination. A writer can spend hours upon hours just reading, writing, and watching the world around him. He is idealistic, kind, and sentimental. I want to be a writer, and the only way I can seem at actively portray that is to portray what people currently think of when they think of a writer. I'm not changing who I am, however. I do believe the stereotype of a writer is who I am. At least, at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment